Thursday, March 11, 2010

Persuasive Writing and Drama?

Explaining the many uses of Drama in a Language Arts classroom




"Supporting Argument" scenes performed by the students



A few lucky volunteers being crowned!


Answering a few last minute questions

I spent the day with Mrs. Stoltzfus' 8th Grade English classes. One of the goals of my platform, is to take the 'Arts' and incorporate them into other areas of the academic curriculum. I read a 'Letter to the Editor' and had the students act out elements of the letter. The students learned how audience, main idea, tone of voice, and supporting arguments can turn into plot, dialogue and supporting actors. The activity helped the students creatively think of supporting arguments to help enhance their persuasive writing. At the end of the activity I revealed that I actually wrote this particular "Letter to the Editor" when I was in Mrs. Stolzfus' 7th grade Writing class! The 8th graders learned a lot, but also had a lot of fun. There are so many ways 'Arts' can be used to help students learn and grow! "Support the ARTS: A Vital Part of a Vibrant Community"

1 comment:

  1. We had fun! Thanks for coming and talking to us. I think Hunter misses you. Ha Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete